Whether you’re an active senior or the parent to a picky eater, chances are there is a multivitamin to meet your specific needs. Here’s a quick rundown of six of the most common types of multivitamin formulations:
- A children’s formulation: these are prepared to serve the needs of children during the critical growth and development stages and are particularly useful for children who are picky eaters. You should look for a brand that offers 100% of RDI of all major vitamins and minerals. Many kids’ vitamins are available in great tasting chewable varieties.
- A man’s formulation: these vitamins offer extra nutrients specific to men’s health including phosphorus, vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium, and B vitamins. Many varieties also contain herbal dietary supplements to protect prostate health.
- Prenatal formulations: these vitamins provide high levels of vitamin B-6 (to help prevent morning sickness) and extra folic acid, which is critical in fetal brain development. If you are planning to become pregnant, you should start a prenatal vitamin at least three months before your planned conception.
- Senior formulations: these vitamins contain extra levels of vitamins and minerals to support healthy cardiovascular and immune systems. Most seniors also need supplemental vitamin D.
- Women’s formulations: these vitamins often contain higher levels of calcium, iron, and folic acid to support women’s bone health.
No matter what formulation you choose, it is important to purchase a high-quality standardized supplement with no added preservatives, sugars, or starch. NOW Foods, Nature’s Plus, and Futurebiotics are just a few of the great brands in stock at Earth Zone. Remember, all supplements are buy one, get one half price!
*These statements are not evaluated by the FDA. This information is not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat, or cure and disease.